3/29/09

Don't Rock the Boat...

Ever the explorers, (Chad only because I drag him to these places), the end of the weekend took us to another cutesie place for dinner:  Siori Sushi Bune in Redondo Beach.  I know, I know...  what's the big deal?  Just another run-of-the-mill sushi restaurant in town, right?  NO!  This place has the extra added bonus of showcasing its various rolls aboard little wooden boats that cruise around the sushi bar.

Now, before you even start in on me, I know that we're not eating traditional sushi.  I am not a sushi purist.  I've never been to Japan, and I certainly don't think for one second that I could appreciate half of the offerings in a traditional Japanese sushi restaurant.  I'm in California, so bring on the "Crab with a K" and the Spider Rolls, put 'em on little colored plates (each color denotes the price of the item) and send 'em out to the dining room on a wooden boat!  When I get to Osaka, I'll hit the sushi places there and write a compare & contrast.

The downside to the little boats o' sushi adventure is that on a Sunday evening around 7:30PM, the restaurant is pretty empty so there's not a lot of sushi being sent out to sea (if you catch my drift.)  I guess it's better that the restaurant held back on filling up the boats for Chad and I - since we were the only people in the joint - as opposed to having all kinds of sushi warming up with each lap around the sushi bar.  I think next time, we're going to have to try a Friday or Saturday evening to experience the full effect. I think I saw the same tempura shrimp roll float by at least 40 times.

So now, since I've got all things Japanese on my brain, I'm going to have to go to Mitsuwa tomorrow and walk around.  Maybe pick up some lunch.  And some magical Japanese eyeliner.  It's amazing. You should try it.

Photos courtesy of Dan Paik 
Facebook This!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Remember your manners!